Friday, January 05, 2007

Where's The Snow?


















We awoke this morning to discover that Colorado received yet another major snowstorm last night, the third in just about as many weeks.

Drifts rise to the height of rooftops. Cars are buried. Interstates are closed. The National Guard is dropping hay to immobilized cattle. Since the beginning of winter, offices and schools have had to shut down well over half a dozen times, a number which would have doubled had not one of the blizzards struck during the Christmas break.

I have just one question? Why am I stuck here in New York!?

When I was a kid, I remember these sorts of storms as common events. In recent years, however, I can't recall one significant blizzard. The last time Colorado got hit like this was 1997 and I had to watch from sunny Florida where I was engaged in my aircrew training. When I got out of the Navy and moved back to Colorado I couldn't wait to experience good snow again. The problem is, it never came. At least not like this.

And now, here we are in New York City, salivating over our television news and internet snow reports which list abundant inches of powder at our favorite ski resorts.

It's true that New York usually doesn't hurt for the white stuff either. However, the East Coast and the Great Lakes region are undergoing a warm snap, and have been for the past several months. Today's temperature is 60 degrees. It will be almost 70 tomorrow. Nature itself is flabbergasted--flowers are blooming and trees are budding throughout the region. In January!

In fact, today New York broke a record for the most days without snow since 1878! And there is none in sight.

I'm being punished for something, aren't I?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a Chicagoan, I have to honestly say that I've been happy that there hasn't been any of that white stuff falling out of the sky. I don't mind the rain though, as we are experiancing some of that today, in D.C.

As a child I loved for it to snow alot, cause we could go out and play and have lots of fun, however we still had to go to school unlike you Colorardoans. But I am sure we will probably get a little soon, so be patient, until then enjoy this wonderful Spring like weather. Take care.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ah, yes. Here I sit reading your post watching the snow drift down AGAIN. I know you're jealous but we just are sick of it by now. Hehe. The first storm right before Christmas - great, even the second storm we didn't mind so much but come on! I did see on the morning news how you were "stuck" with 60 degree weather, we are wishing for it my friend. The drifts are high and solid, the roads are one way in neighborhoods, and here comes another storm. SIGH. But I do have to say the the first two storms provided my family and I with some much needed down time together - it was blissful. Blessings!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being snowed in a couple times a year is marvelous.
We've had it once so far this year in Missouri - though admittedly nothing like CO blizzards - but if this winter is anything like the last two then that may be it for the season.
We have a high of 53 today, in January, so so far it's looking pretty mild. I might even go for a run.
I'd feel great about it, but somewhere a polar bear is adrift on a melting chunk of iceberg.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must be the missing link to Global Warming, you are Global Warming. Move back to Colorado please. I have another 6 inches today. My California body can't cope with this. HELP!!!

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I see one more fracking snowflake I'm going to shoot myself!

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to be hogging all the snow my friend. I shoveled about six inches to get out to the office and it is still coming down.

You know, there's a woman selling Colorado snow on e-Bay...

Calvin

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife and I have decided we like vacation better in Florida, so we're leaving responsibility and Colorado again for Florida, although it does sound nice in NY.

I wish.

On a positive note, the second storm hit while we were gone and as we pulled into our house late New Years night, I was dreading the unshoveled driveway and getting kids, bags, and selves into the house, BUT our wonderful, albeit well-paid house sitter had not only kept the dogs and birds fed, but also shoveled the drive.

And as Beth well knows, the answer to your question is, The snow is here!

Paul

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally feel your pain!

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

deon, you're in D.C.?!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Sicily, too we have the snow.
Mountain Etna is all white :)!

4:07 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

72. That's what it got up to this weekend. 72! We were all in shorts and t-shirts. In January. In New York.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus