Sunday, September 23, 2007

When Christians Attack


















Comedian Kathy Griffin is the latest to feel the scalding wrath of Christianity's elite Jesus Protection Program.

During an acceptance speech at the recent Creative Emmy Awards, Griffin said, "A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus. This award is my God now!"

Sure, Griffin's words were ridiculous at best and to some, certainly offense at worst. But the response from members of Tennessee's Miracle Theater is the most disgusting of all. The Christian theater troupe posted an ad in USA Today condemning Griffin's speech, saying the group’s members were offended by jokes about Jesus, and such vulgarity cannot be tolerated.

Really!? I mean, really!? As far as I'm concerned Miracle Theater, the only vulgarity here is the fact that you spent $90,000 of, what I'm sure you consider the Lord's money, on something as preposterous and self-righteous as a newspaper ad. Can you imagine what a $90,000 gift could have meant to a local homeless shelter, missionary organization, AIDS clinic, inner-city church, etc...

Who has done more damage to the cause and work of Christ here? A second-rate comedian looking for a cheap laugh or a hypocritical group of pompous religious windbags who wouldn’t recognize the priorities of Christ even if He wrote them down for them. Oh, wait…

8 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous Scout said...

This wasn't about attacking Jesus; it was about advertising their theater. They probably blew their entire ad budget on this.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen this "Modus Operandi" before; the use of an insane amount of money for an end that hardly seems worth it, or isn't at all.
Though, I wonder how much heat she would have taken if Mohammed or Buddha had been the focus of her insult.
Right now it's politically correct to insult the majority.
-PBIRD

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not going to lose sleep over anything she says, though . . .

=)

-PBIRD

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy Griffith is laughing her ass off right now...

"Negative" publicity is better than "no" publicity, right?

Right now, I am most fumed at what that Iranian president has been saying about 9/11 and the Holocaust.

Why can't a $90,000 ad defaming THAT type of talk be published in a national newspaper... all the while there are some crazy kooks in this country getting their rocks off by such vitriol.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard a story once about a christian group that was fighting against their city hall for not wanting to put up the nativity for Christmas - the city hall, of course, citing separation of church and state. The conclusion of the story basically came to "We as Christians should fight TO REMOVE those symbols from being displayed in a non-sacred way" i.e. by people who have no belief in the symbolism of them.

I, for one, would rather hear Kathy Griffin (whose comedy totally cracks me up) admit openly that "no one had less to do with this award that Jesus" than hear the variety of celebrities who first "Thank God" while they openly live lives that could not have less to do with God... To me it is a far greater sign of respect to Christianity for someone who does NOT identify themselves as a Christian to NOT thank Jesus for something they have done - in the same way I would not thank Buddah if I won something. He had nothing to do with it!

Now, that said, she is a shock value princess and never claims not to be. Her comment - Cheap shot? Possibly... True? Definately.

p.s. Jesus Protection Program? Priceless, Brandon...

10:22 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

10:31 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Preach it Brandon! You know I was just directed the other day to Matthew 23 and the seven woes come to mind when I read about this Tennesse group spending money on something so stupid as this. I echo Brandon's sentiment - REALLY?!?! A couple other things come to mind - like trying to remove the speck from someone's eye when you have a big ol' plank sticking out of your own. And since when do we "require" or expect people who do not claim to know Jesus give him credit or act according to his word? C'mon. I wash my hands of the American church - I want OUT!! :)
Okay, that said I am not exiting the American church but I sure am fed up with them on the whole. Goodness, pick your battles church and this was not one to pick! What a waste of time, money, and effort. Wonder if they drew crowds to their shows with this stunt?

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one totally agree with Kathy, JESUS had nothing to do with her stupid award. Jesus and God have better things to do then to help any "star" win an award. I think the war and hunger might be top priority right now.
I don't believe it's her god, but it's not gods nor jesus's thats for sure.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus