Saturday, July 09, 2005

One of the Best Frakking Shows on TV!



Never Create What You Can't Control

This Friday marks the highly anticipated return of the Sci. Fi. Channel’s highest rated drama series, Battlestar Galactica. But be warned, this is not your parents’ Battlestar. Gone is the fun, the camp, and the escapism. This series is mercilessly dark, surprisingly violent, consistently intelligent, astonishingly spiritual and shockingly erotic, a complex and provocative drama that is steeped in relevant contemporary issues and shot through with a kind of riving, feral tension.

How far will humanity go to save itself? What responsibility do they have in their own extermination? At what point does technology move from a blessing to a curse? What responsibility does the creator have to his creation? What if your God is also the God of your enemies? What place has law and order when every day is little better than every man for himself?

Battlestar Galactica is easily the best science fiction show to hit TV since Star Trek: The Next Generation (for the X-Files fans, I am willing to argue the point). This series is far superior to anything the Roddenberry universe has put out in well over a decade. Series creator, Ronald Moore, who was one of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine’s creative giants has at least equaled the genius of his earlier work, if not at times, surpassed it. For those of you who know me, you know I don’t say that lightly.

Here there are no aliens on exotic planets. Here there is only a handful of rag-tag human survivors, a massively overwhelming Cylon fleet and the vastness of cold space in between. This is a show about human beings on the cusp of extinction, fleeing into deep space from an unrelenting cybernetic foe they created to service themselves but who, in a coup de gras of which Milton would have approved, have rebelled and begun annihilating their masters.

That the show has some of the best special effects and musical scores ever produced for television merely sweeten the pot.

But don’t take my word for it. TIME magazine calls it “one of the best dramas on TV.” TV Guide says it is a “breakaway hit.” And Newsday calls it “the best show on television.”

Find out what everyone’s talking about this Friday on Sci Fi. It is absolutely not to be missed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frak yeah! Marty and I are totally hooked on Battlestar Galactica!

When the miniseries first came on, I wasn't really interested. I do remember the cheesy tv show and the 70's haircuts, and "Hey! How come Ben Cartwrite is in space now?" Besides, Starbuck was a girl now? Yeah, right! LOL!

Then the series started on Friday nights, and lucky for Marty, I work on Friday nights so he could watch it with no interruptions. However, at times I'd come home early, and sit and watched the end of it. It would be a bit confusing... "Hey Marty, how come that Asian girl is on the
ship, but now she's running around a planet with that guy?" Martin would attempt an explanation after the show.

Anyway, I did start to notice the acting, the style, the music, etc. and thought it was very interestingly done. Finally, Marty convinced me to sit down with him and watch the miniseries he bought on DVD, I did, and wha la! I was hooked!

Luckily I've been able to get an earlier shift on Friday nights (3pm-8pm and I'm keeping it that way) so it's now it's officially BG night! :-)


Cheers!
Sheri

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still remember when I told you it was better than ST, you said, "Do you know what you just said."

I can not wait for Friday to come -
I love you so much - Dad

2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you on Battlestar.

E

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read your review of the new "Battlestar Galactica" and I couldn't agree with you more. I have just started watching the second series now... it is a great show.

Is it just me, or do you recognize the heavy influence of Ridley Scott in this series? The jerky camera and washed out images may seem a bit out dated now (we have spoken about this before) but they work excellently in this series and I love watching it.

You are correct in noting that it is currently the best SciFi show on television.

I love the way this show is so militarily authentic... everything from the rendering of a proper salute to recognizable colloquialism (I remember an episode where a chief calls an officer, "el-tee", a reference to the rank of Lieutenant). A friend of mine was commenting on how most shows mess up the proper military
salute... not on this show.

MD

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus