Monday, March 19, 2007

I Should Have Been There


















This weekend, thousands of anti-war protestors descended on the Pentagon to protest this, the fourth anniversary of the war in Iraq. I was in D.C. for the latter half of last week, spending Spring Break with my wife.

I knew the protest was going on. While we sat on the Metro heading for a visit to National Geographic’s headquarters and a Library of Congress tour, the protestors, schlepping signs and placards, occupied the seats beside us.

I had an impulse to drop my plans and join them. But I didn’t. Why not? Cowardice? For the rest of that day and the days that followed, I’ve regretted that decision.

They are certainly my ideological brethren and I would have been proud to raise my voice beside theirs. I’ve never participated in a protest march before. There is something about it, something primally American.

I should have been there. Next time I will be.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there as well. Only I whould have been holding an American Flag, not burning it.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

And there is the beauty of this country, the beauty both of us are fighting for, though in different ways. Wonderful.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fibbs,

Please take a look at this article below and let me know what you think. Congratulations on the mention in Christianity Today

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/04/dealing_with_leftists_who_supp.html

1:37 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Alright, if Mr. Robinson is so eager to change the language, we’ll change the language.

I don’t support the troops.

So there.

At least, that’s the way it would read under Robinson’s very black and white model. The truth is, I don’t want a single soldier to die. I want their missions against terrorist pockets to be successful. And above all, I want them all home safely and quickly.

But according to Robinson and others, that is considered treasonous.

Bullshit.

My mother has a gay daughter. She does not agree with her daughter’s lifestyle whatsoever and deems it a sinful, degenerate way of life. She wants nothing more than for my sister to make a 180-degree turn from her choices. And yet…she loves her daughter…wants nothing more than the best for her daughter…wants to see her daughter succeed and be happy.

Is she against my sister’s lifestyle? Yes. Does she still support her? Yes.

Mr. Robinson is the sort of conservative who is so narrow minded that he cannot possibly conceive of a paradigm in which nothing but blind, unquestioning allegiance is deemed patriotism.

It is immoral. It is dangerous. And it is imbecilic. And so is he.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus