Tuesday, February 05, 2008

My SuperBowl













My Super Bowl is tonight.

Super Duper Tuesday. Tsunami Tuesday. Whatever you want to call it, I’ve been looking forward to today for weeks. Never in U.S. history have so many states held so many primaries or caucuses in a single day. The debates have been pulling in ridiculously large ratings. The populace is energized from within this political season. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Change is in the air. Can you feel it?

I had forgotten how intoxicating the political process is and how much I loved its hurly burly nature until I returned to the place where my love of statecraft took root in the first place. It is thrilling to be in Washington D.C. for such a time as this.

On any average Tuesday night, I’d be screening a film. Not tonight. Football fans can have Sunday. Tonight’s the night that I will be glued to my television. (During the first night of the contested 2000 election, I stayed up for more than 30 hours, glued to the newscasts).

Change is in the air. Can you feel it?

But my appetite is for more than just the process. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t hoping for this Tuesday to be lit with the same magical incandescence that has been setting fire to so many across America of late.

I have never hidden my contempt for this inept President or this corrupt administration. I have never been shy about my loathing of the state of this union over the past seven years. And yet, as vibrant as that wrathful fire still burns, each day I find that energy seeping toward a different engine.

Less anger. More optimism. Less hate. More hope.

It was just over a year ago that I first wrote about Barack Obama. My JFK. My RFK. A statesman hero unparallel in my lifetime. More than a politician. A harbinger of hope. Of change. Never in my entire life have I been inspired like this. Never have I found my dreams and hopes for this nation crystallized in the vision of one man.

Change is in the air. Can you feel it?

Please vote today. Let's heal this nation.

Enjoy the video below. I’ve watched it a dozen times now, each time with eyes full of tears.

YES WE CAN!

16 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

Tonight’s the night that I will be glued to my television.

It appears then, that the Revolution will be televised!

:)

I, too, will be sitting in front of the box.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll see your Obama post and raise you one adorable Obama video

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon,

He is a politician not the messiah.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Na, the messiah is the one who has been in office these past seven years.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post!

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a great post. I enjoyed the Video, I thought it was well put together.

I have met and sat down with Mrs. Obama many times and have had the pleasure of dancing for our Presidential hopeful on more than one occasion, in the CMDC shows, that are given twice a year and some special perfomances throughout the Summer.

I feel so special now because I have sat and talked with the Obama's before his fame.

Thanks for posting this Brandon.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon,

Honestly. What does he stand for? What are his positions on the issues? He has turned platitudes into such an art form he could be on both sides, top and botom of any issue.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon,

I should have added this quote along with my messiah comment. "Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic." Pope Benedict XVI

"Na, the messiah is the one who has been in office these past seven years."

When did President Bush ever sound as preachy as Sen. Obama?

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obama's First Coming
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23182456-28737,00.html

Brandon, looks like you came a few times already over him. Need a tissue? A ballot?

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,

This article is exactly what I was talking about. I just threw the messiah comment out there, but it is being repeated over and over again by people from both ends of the spectrum. McCain talked about Obama's preaching and lack of specificity last night during a speech. "Hope, my friends, is a powerful thing. "I can attest to that better than many, for I have seen men's hopes tested in hard and cruel ways that few will ever experience. To encourage a country with only rhetoric rather than sound and proven ideas that trust in the strength and courage of free people is not a promise of hope, "It is a platitude."

2:34 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

I thought someone might post that line of McCain's from last night. Honestly, I was about to do it myself.

To Chris and others, I am not ignoring you. You are getting your own post!

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon,

Didn't think you were ignoring me but a rebuttal every now and then would be nice.

By the way it is nice to read a new post daily again.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Oh, and as far as the preachiness is concerned. One of the men in question is all about a cult of himself while the other is interested in preaching out a "we" rather than a "me."

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon,

Bush isn't running in 08. My problem with Obama is that he doesn't stand for anything. If he does, it is on the wrong side of our Nation's sovereignty and I'll give you two recent examples.

1. His sponsorship of Senate Bill 2433 (Global Poverty Act of 2007). He actually has the gall to make the U.S. subject to a global tax. This isn't my idea of hope and change.

2. He voted against renewing the FISA act. Again another attack on our ability to defend yourself and our sovereignty.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Probably because the Bush administration has taken it, as it has so many other things, and used them as blatant ways to skirt the spirit if not the letter of the law, hide from oversight and accountability, and further erode your civil rights.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you insist on returning to Bush who will not be running in 08. This is not the Obama way. We need to focus our eyes on the future not the past. If you do insist on discussing Bush, then I would make this comment.

It is amusing that people afford all of these god-like qualities to President Bush. I have seen the same thing applied to the devil by misguided Christians. Every single misfortune they come across is immediately credited to the acts of Satan. As if he has personally set his sights on them and every single person around the globe. Yes the true battle is spiritual "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" Ephesians 6 12. But the devil is not omnipresent and he is not omnipotent. Some introspection might do the misguided Christians some good in most cases.

Now back to President Bush. He did not guide Katrina into the poorest parts of New Orleans, he didn't go to war without the approval of the Senate, he did not wave a magic wand to make oil $100 a barrel for his oil buddies, he did not pass the first FISA bill without approval from Congress, he hasn't wire tapped millions of Americans phone conversations . I believe most people give him far more credit than he deserves. The truth is the guidelines laid out in the FISA bill are very similar to the way we would survey a drug dealer. Some provisions have been made for time sensitive instances, but the law is very clear how these situations should be handled. Then there is the minor point everybody seems to forget about, the law applies to NON-US CITIZENS who do not have rights under the Constitution. If a US Citizen happens to be talking on the phone to a known terrorist, I would like our government to know about it. Wouldn't you?

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus